Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rust . . .


There are several difficult issues facing anyone who chooses to restore an old car, one of these issues is rust. I knew it had rust because the first time I painted it, I incorrectly filled the rust with bondo then sanded and painted over it. As my late brother Lester once said, "Education is never cheap." One night, less than six months after the first poorly done paint job, Jon while turning into the drive turned to sharp and scraped the fence. The scratch was minor, but it went right across a section of covered rust. The result, the bondo broke along the edges of the repair and there it was plain as day, the car had cancer. Oh well, it was $59 paint job anyway, I knew I'd have to fix it right some day. Well, this is someday and I'm going to repair it correctly. Shown here are the rust areas on the passenger side, I have ground and sandblasted the areas and removed all the surface rust, all that I can see or otherwise identify. In another week or two, I'll do another post, showing the welded repairs. Stay tuned . . .

1 comment:

marcie said...

LIAR! That is all...

And I hope you enjoy working on the car; just view it as a fun project :)